Breast Reconstruction in DuBois, PA
Ready to get started?Contact Us
What Is Breast Reconstruction?
Surgical breast reconstruction is performed to restore one or both breasts to an attractive appearance in shape and size after a lumpectomy or mastectomy. It's also an option to restore a breast damaged by a birth defect or trauma. New techniques in reconstructive surgery make it possible for breast cancer patients to feel complete and have breasts that look natural, even after removal or damage. This surgery can include several procedures and different stages that can either be performed along with your breast cancer treatment or delayed until the treatment is complete. Dr. Algie LaBrasca creates a personalized treatment plan with compassion as we help you to restore your confidence and physical appearance. Contact LaBrasca Plastic Surgery in Brookville or DuBois, PA to set up a one-on-one consultation today.
How Is Breast Reconstruction Performed?
There's a variety of techniques available today to reconstruct the breast. There are also multiple factors that Dr. LaBrasca looks at when deciding on the technique that will produce your best results. Some of these factors include cancer diagnosis, when the reconstruction is performed, whether you will use implants or natural tissue, and if nipple reconstruction or nipple-sparing is a part of the process. In order to recreate the breast, you must have enough tissue to cover the breast mound adequately. Flap methods accomplish this by using your own skin, muscle, and fat to create, cover, and build the breast. The most frequent flap techniques are:
- TRAM Flap: Your breast is constructed using muscle, skin, and fat from your abdomen. The tissue used to create the new breast may be removed from the stomach or remain connected to the donor location, keeping the original blood supply.
- DIEP Flap: Like a TRAM Flap, the DIEP flap uses skin, fat, and blood vessels from the lower stomach; however, it does not use the muscle. The DIEP (deep inferior epigastric perforator) flap transfers skin and fat from the belly to build the new breast, then uses microsurgery to attach the blood vessels to the chest wall.
- Latissimus Dorsi Flap: This technique uses muscle, skin, and fat from your back to reconstruct the breasts. During this procedure, tissue is moved from the back to the breast(s) through a surgically created path so it remains attached to the donor location, which keeps the original blood supply in place.
- PAP Flap: Another flap alternative is the PAP (profunda artery perforator). This method uses skin, fat, and muscle tissue from your inner thigh to create your breast(s).
- LTP Flap: Although the TRAM flap is one of the most common methods used for breast reconstruction, sometimes there isn't enough muscle, fat, and skin that can be taken from the abdominal area. In this case, the LTP flap technique may be used, which takes tissue from the lateral thigh area.
- Composite Flap: Also known as a composite stacked flap, this technique takes flaps from different sections of your body to reconstruct the breast.
LaBrasca Plastic Surgery Reviews
I would recommend Dr LaBrasca to anyone looking to have a procedure done. His staff is amazing and I can’t begin to tell you how great he is. You can tell he loves what he does and takes pride in it his work speaks for itself. Thank you Doc for giving me the self confidence I had buried deep down!! You’re the best.
I cannot say enough about how kind and personable Dr. Labrasca is. Amazingly skilled professional- has made sure all my concerns and questions were answered and met. For the first time in my life, he has made me be able to feel confident in my skin. I am so thankful he performed my surgery and would recommend him and his amazing staff to everyone.
Dr. LaBrasca is the absolutely best! Made me feel 100% comfortable throughout the whole process. His staff was beyond thoughtful and so helpful! I’ve never felt more confident thanks to him! Surgery and recovery process went super smooth! I’d go back in a heart beat!
Highly recommend this office! Staff is very kind and highly skilled. Dr.Labrasca is extremely educational along with compassionate about his patients.
Dr. Labrasca cares about a Women’s self image after being diagnosed with breast cancer. You can tell he loves being an excellent surgeon. Makes each of his patients his priority
Get In Touch
Reclaim Your Self-Confidence
While the breast reconstruction process can take time, it is considered one of the top worthwhile cosmetic surgeries for our DuBois and Brookville, PA patients at LaBrasca Plastic Surgery. It may help decrease the physical and emotional impact of a mastectomy while also allowing you to boost your self-confidence and figure. If you have breast cancer, have had an injury to the chest, or have a congenital defect that affects the appearance of your breasts, we encourage you to contact our DuBois, PA office and schedule a consultation with Dr. Algie LaBrasca. We can help you create your ideal look.